Spring warmth wakens the flowers, trees, and the bugs, and termites are no exception. Termites cause more damage than fires and storms, so it’s important to know the facts about them, how to treat them, and what a termite inspection and warranty mean.
- Fact: Termites have been around since the time of the dinosaurs!
- Fact: Termite colonies eat non-stop, 24 hours a day, seven days a week!
- Fact: Termites have wings that they shed once they have found a good place to build a nest.
- Fact: All Termites are social insects and raise their young as a group.
- Fact: Termites cause up to $2 billion in damage per year!
- Fact: The total weight of all of the termites in the world is more than the weight of all the humans in the world.
A termite swarm is an event in which certain environmental conditions trigger a great number of winged termites to simultaneously fly from their nest (about 600-900 feet) to mate and locate new nest sites and food sources. Once matched, a “royal couple” burrows into the ground where the queen begins to lay eggs.
Behavior and survival:
When a swarm occurs, winged termite swarmers called alates emerge in large numbers from cracks in buildings or holes in the soil through swarm tubes made by worker termites. Only a small percentage survive to form new colonies. Many are eaten by predators like birds, bats, and other insects. Or they die from natural causes and environmental conditions before they can locate a mate and nest site.
Are you in the Mid-South area and think you have swarmers?
Give us a call for a free estimate.